About the Council
The City of Elk Point is governed by a mayor elected at large by the eligible voters of the community. The City Council is composed of two representatives from each of three wards, a total of six elected Council members who vote on policy directions for the City.
The Mayor and Council members are elected to two-year terms, with ward elections staggered so that three Council positions - one from each ward -- are subject to election annually.
The Mayor does not vote on Council business unless there is a tie, and the Mayor can veto a Council decision.
City Council Meetings are held on the first Monday of the Month.
November 2, 2015 Council Agenda
October 5, 2015 Council Agenda
September 28, 2015 Council Agenda
September 14, 2015 Council Agenda
August 18, 2015 Council Agenda
August 3, 2015 Council Agenda
July 6, 2015 Council Agenda
June 1, 2015 Council Agenda
May 4, 2015 Council Agenda
April 16, 2015 Council Agenda
April 6, 2015 Council Agenda
March 2, 2015 Council Agenda
February 2, 2015 Council Agenda
January 5,2015 Council packet (1 of 4)
January 5, 2015 Council packet (2 of 4)
January 5, 2015 Council packet (3 of 4)
January 5, 2015 Council packet (4 of 4)
December 22, 2014 Council Agenda
December 1, 2014 Council Agenda
November 3, 2014 Council Agenda
October 6, 2014 Council Agenda
September 22, 2014 Council Agenda
September 8, 2014 Council Agenda (2 of 2)
September 8, 2014 Council Agenda (1 of 2)
August 4, 2014 Council Meeting Agenda
July 7, 2014 council Meeting Agenda
June 2, 2014 Council Meeting Agenda
Minutes - January 6, 2014
Minutes - February 3, 2014
Minutes - March 3, 2014
Minutes - April 7, 2014
Minutes - May 5, 2014
Minutes - June 2, 2014
Minutes - July 7,2014
Minutes - August 4, 2014
Minutes- September 8, 2014
Minutes- Special Meeting September 22, 2014
Minutes - October 6, 2014
Minutes - November 3, 2014
Minutes - December 1, 2014
Minutes - Special Meeting December 22, 2014
Minutes- January 5, 2015
Minutes - February 2, 2015
Minutes - March 2, 2015
Minutes - Special Meeting March 16, 2015
Minutes -April 6, 2015
Minutes - Special Meeting April 16, 2015
Minutes - May 4, 2015
Minutes - June 1, 2015
Minutes - Special Meeting June 8,2015
Minutes- July 6, 2015
Minutes - July 21, 2015
Minutes - August 3, 2015
Minutes - August 18, 2015
Minutes - September 14, 2015
Minutes - September 28, 2015
Labor & Benefits - Zevenbergen, McCreary and Penfield
City Staffing, Pay Scales, Employee Classification, Retirement and Health Insurance Benefits
Codes and Policies - Buum, VonHaden and Verros
City Code Review, Standardized Operational Policies
Rates and Fees - Buum, VonHaden and Verros
Utility Rate Reviews, Other City Fees and Charges
Budget - Zevenbergen, McCreary and Penfield
City Council's Duties:
Primary Objective of Position:
To identify and discuss issues impacting the City of Elk Point, receive and consider public input, and make appropriate decisions in a manner, which encourages full and open discussion.
Responsible To: Citizens of Elk Point
Supervision Exercised: Supervises City Administrator, superintendents in charge of city employees, and city employees.
Major Areas of Responsibility
Participate in special study subcommittees or task forces to provide information for City Council consideration.
1. Assumes responsibility for accomplishing necessary research either by talking to appropriate individuals or requesting that the staff prepare appropriate research.
2. Assumes a constructive and active role in the output of the task force.
- Discusses issues impacting the City with State Legislators and other local government officials.
- Annually evaluates the performances of the City Administrator with the knowledge of what the job description/contract is for the Administrator.
- Establishes and modifies goals and objectives for the City.
- Reviews and approves an annual budget and tax levy.
- Reviews and approves a capital improvements program for the City.
- Reviews and is familiar with the Elk Point City Ordinance book.
- Serves as a Council Representative to various committee's or agencies as appointed by the Mayor.
- Responsible for who is to be employed with the City and who is to be terminated from employment.
Process To Be Elected To Office: Please see attached information as prepared by the SD Municipal League.
Benefits: Councilman receives $200.00 per month salary. Council members also receive $40.00 for each special meeting he/she attends. The Mayor receives $250 per month salary.